Random Rhode Islanders To Be Invited To Finance Advice Robo-Calls Today
RI Treasurer's teleconference will offer personal finance advice.
If you're among the 10,000 randomly chosen RI phone numbers for the RI Treasurer's series of robo-calls between 5 and 6 p.m., you're about to get some spontaneous information about RI Treasury initiatives and warnings about payday lending.
RI Treasurer Gina M. Raimondo's Empower RI telephone town hall is intended to raise awareness about Treasury’s financial empowerment initiatives, including the Rhode Island Financial Coaching Corps.
The call will also cover how to access the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and how to avoid the pitfalls of pay day lending in Rhode Island.
“Far too many Rhode Islanders face challenges that might have been avoided through a greater understanding of personal finance,” Raimondo said. “A telephone town hall is a convenient way for people to learn about the many ways to give and to get financial help. Financially empowered Rhode Islanders can play a role in our economic recovery.” Since coming into office, finding innovative ways to help Rhode Islanders better manage their finances has been a top priority for Raimondo.
Raimondo will be joined by:
- Andy Posner of the Capital Good Fund on how to join or access the Rhode Island Financial Coaching Corps
- Reverend Dr. Donald Anderson, member of the Interfaith Coalition to Reduce Poverty
- Margaux Morisseau of the Payday Lending Reform Coalition
- Rita Gandhi of Family Resources Community Action, who will speak about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
Rhode Islanders are struggling financially:
- Sixty- seven percent say they have difficulty covering expenses and paying bills
- Sixty-four percent have no funds for emergencies
- The number of pay day loans doubled between 2008-2011
Calls will be made throughout Rhode Island today around 5 p.m., inviting participation. The phone numbers selected for participation are chosen at random from across the state.
So, tell us in the comments: Did you hear from Treasurer Raimondo today? Was the telephone town hall helpful?