Thanks to strong performances in the pool from relay teams, the Smithfield High School Sentinels finished second at the state championship, 309-224.50, to Bishop Hendricken High School on Monday.
Ryan Cote led the Sentinels, earning the highest individual finish, a silver in the 100-yard breaststroke. Cote was also a member of second place relay teams, in the 200-yard medley and 200-yard freestyle, and took third in the 50-yard freestyle.
For a full listing of the results and times, click here. Placing for Smithfield:
- 200-yard medley relay: Brady Greene, Chris Cote, Ryan Cote and Ricky Boardman, 2nd place.
- 200-yard freestyle: Carlton Eaton, 7th place.
- 200-yard IM: Tim DeCoste, 6th place.
- 50-yard freestyle: Ryan Cote, 3rd place; Ricky Boardman, 9th place; Chris Cote, tie 16th place.
- 100-yard butterfly: Tim DeCoste, 7th place.
- 100-yard freestyle: Carlton Eaton, 6th place; Ricky Boardman, 10th place.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Ryan Cote, Chris Cote, Carlton Eaton and Ricky Boardman, 2nd place.
- 100-yard backstroke: Brady Greene, 6th place; Evan Sousa, 11th place.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Ryan Cote, 2nd place; Chris Cote, 15th place.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: Tim DeCoste, Dan Chadwick, Brady Greene and Carlton Eaton, 7th place.
The girls’ swimming team also competed this weekend and finished in 10th with 78 points, behind ninth place Narragansett (104 points). South Kingstown took the state title with 310 points.
For the full list of results from the girls’ state meet, click here. Scoring points for Smithfield:
- 200-yard medley relay: Michaella Johnson, Anna DeCoste, Jenny Scarborough and Madison Saliba, 10th place.
- 200-yard IM: Michaella Johnson, 9th place.
- 200-yard freestyle relay: Anna DeCoste, Stephanie Mattson, Michaella Johnson and Madison Saliba, 8th place.
- 100-yard backstroke: Madison Saliba, 5th place; Michaella Johnson, 9th place.
- 400-yard freestyle relay: Brooklyn Saliba, Amanda Laidler, Maddee Borgman and Jenny Scarborough, 12th place.